Monday, August 5, 2013

Blog Challenge Day 5: Ten Songs I Love Right Now


Just ten?  That’s tough.  It depends on my mood and what I’m doing.  I guess if I had to choose ten right now, at this very second, these are the songs I would choose (in no particular order):

1.       Squeeze – Up the Junction
Man, I love this song.  I can put it on at any time, in any situation, and it will always make me smile.  It’s just so sweet and sad.  Also, I love songs that tell a continuous story verse by verse rather than your regular old verse, chorus, verse formula.

2.       Nada Surf – Jules and Jim
It’s really hard for me to pick just one Nada Surf song.  I chose this one because there is a video for it, it’s on the latest record (which I listen to most these days), and because I love it.

3.       Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
This song makes me cry every time and I want it played at my funeral.

4.       Wings – Band on the Run
I don’t know what to say about this song other than “it makes my heart happy.”

5.       Tegan and Sara – The Con
Like Nada Surf, I can’t actually pick just one Tegan and Sara song.  I love them all.  This one is from my favourite T&S record.  I once heard them talking about this song live and apparently, Tegan wrote it after her first time eating avocados and suffering from major diarrhea.  I’ve since never heard this song without thinking about that.  You’re welcome.

6.       The Smiths – Paint a Vulgar Picture
Again, how do you pick a favourite song by The Smiths?  This one is pretty fucking perfect: the jangly guitar, the continuous story telling with no break for chorus, just perfect.  I’ve always thought this song was about Ian Curtis, but I’ve never had that confirmed.  Anyone?

7.       Bruno Mars – Locked Out of Heaven
I don’t know what it is about this song.  I just love it.  It’s fun, it’s danceable and I love the obvious influence of The Police.

8.       Sloan – Deeper than Beauty

       
Again with the jangly guitar and continuous story telling with no break for chorus.  I’m beginning to see a pattern here.  I can’t help myself.

9.       Paul Simon – Graceland
This is another one of those songs that make me so happy and so sad at the same time.  Right from the first second of the song all the way through to the end, my heart actually physically hurts.  In a good way.  If that makes any sense at all.

10.   Dragonette – Live in This City
This one will always start a dance party in my kitchen.  That makes it a pretty great song in my books.  And how cute is the video?

This list shows that I'm into songs that make me emotional or that make me dance.  Yup, seems about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment