Sunday, August 11, 2013

Blog Challenge Day 11: These Are a Few (make that 15) of my Favourite Things

1.      Coffee.  I love it.  It’s no accident that it’s number one on this list.  That being said, I only enjoy two cups of joe in the morning and then not again for the rest of the day.  I like it best when I make it at home and drink it out of one of my two favourite mugs.  If I have to pick my coffee up at a drive-thru window, I will take coffee from McDonalds over Tim Horton’s any day.  What?!  The Hamiltonian doesn’t like Tim Horton’s coffee?!!  Nope.  It tastes like burning.
2.      Clean laundry.  And when I say clean laundry, I mean laundry that has been washed, dried, folded and put away.  It rarely happens all at once in my house.  We’re usually picking clothes from a clean pile on the dresser or a hamper.  By the time we put it all away, there are normally enough piles of dirty clothes to pick up and throw in the washing machine again.  On the rare occasion that the laundry is put away on the same day that it’s washed, it’s my favourite.

3.      All things mini.  Mini-ketchup, mini-Vaseline, mini-hot sauce.  Everything is just so much cuter when it’s mini.
4.      Clean sheet day.  Is there anything better than climbing into crisp, clean sheets?!  The answer is no.  No, there really isn’t.

5.      Sleeping in.  My husband works shifts so as far as weekends go, he’s home every other.  I work Monday to Friday, so I’m home every weekend.  That means that there are two mornings every other week with both he and I home.  Sadly, it means one sleep-in per parent every two weeks.  It’s not the greatest ratio of sleep-ins to early rises, especially when our kids normally wake up between 6-6:30am.  On those glorious mornings that I do have the luxury of sleeping, I soak it up for as long as I can.  Even if I can’t sleep past 8am, I’ll stay cozy under the covers and read for at least an hour more.

6.      New Chucks.  I bought my first pair of Converse All-Stars 22 years ago and have loved every new pair since.  The white rubber toe looking so white and fresh.  I try to keep them clean for as long as I can, which is way easier now than when I was a kid.

7.      The Christmas season.  It’s just such an amazing time of year.  Making time to see everyone that we don’t get to see as often as we’d like throughout the year is great.  The smells of the season, the decorations, the music, the magic and excitement of Santa Claus.  Our family was introduced to Tiny, our Elf on the Shelf last year.  Finding his tricky hiding spots every morning made the month of December even more fun.  
8.      Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.  I can’t be trusted with any around me.  I will eat them.  All of them.

9.      Long baths.  I saw a relaxing bath post on Pinterest not too long ago with a ½ cup Epsom salts, a ½ cup baking soda and 10 drops off essential lavender oil.  It’s the most glorious of baths I have ever soaked in.  Not only does it feel and smell great while I’m in it, once I get out my skin feels soft and smooth and I’m so relaxed that I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.  You should definitely try it.

10.  Raspberry fingers.  My kids eat their raspberries like this EVERY TIME and I love it.
11.  Sitting on my front porch.  It’s where I like to drink my coffee in the morning and my water at night.  It’s so much better than sitting in our backyard for some reason.  It’s often times where you’ll find me when I’m looking to escape my kids for a few minutes during the day.

12.  Taking my lunch to work.  It’s a new thing for me and something I wish I’d been doing all along.  I find that I’m eating way healthier than when I was buying my lunch every day and the cost savings alone makes it so worth the trouble of fixing something the night before.

13.  Videos of people falling.  It’s true that I’ve been called sinister due to my love of watching people hurt themselves but come on.  I mean, really.  Tell me you can watch this video and not laugh until you cry.  I can’t.
14.  This:
I love that I had a problem today that I took to Twitter (fruit-flies!) and within a couple of minutes had been offered a solution to get rid of them naturally: apple cider vinegar in a bowl covered in saran wrap with little fork-holes poked in it.  The teensy little buggers took to it right away.  Can’t wait to see what carnage the morning brings!

15.  These nerds.  They’re my most favourite things of all time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment