Saturday, May 25, 2013

the day i took the tv away

CONFESSION: My children watch too much television.

It’s not like they’re a couple of little robots sitting in front of it all day or anything, but they'll usually watch a show or two first thing in the morning, a movie in the afternoon and another movie or another couple of shows before bed. 
We’ve been using the TV as a means to keep the kids quiet while we get things done around the house, a way for them to cool down in the afternoon in lieu of taking a nap and, if I’m being completely honest here, it’s also been a case of lazy parenting.  It’s just easy to put on a movie and let it keep them entertained for a little while.
A couple of movies and a show didn’t seem too terrible at first thought.  When I stopped to think about it a little more though, it dawned on me that it was 3.5-4 hours of television every day.  Over 24 hours of TV a week!  It has to stop so I’ve just introduced my family to the NO TV CHALLENGE.  That’s right, I’ve taken it away for one week.  Not too much time, but enough to hopefully make a huge impact on our family.
My husband refused to help me physically remove it from the wall (he said that was taking the challenge a little too far), so this is what I did:



This is the reaction I got from my daughter:

 
And this is the reaction I got from my son:
 
Wish me luck!  It’s going to be a long week.

2 comments:

  1. What you did takes both wisdom and courage. Kids are reading far less, are incredibly less creative *so I hear from art and music teachers* and have literally become little sponges soaking up the ideals and platitudes of advertisers and television promoters. As an author who grew up on a ranch in the Arizona high country with no television and the weakest of radio reception at night only, I most certainly had to learn to use my imagination and ingenuity. Today...I put those skills into writing novels.

    Bravo to you!! Don't let those little glazed faces sway you; you did a great thing! Jodi Lea Stewart, author of the Silki, the Girl of Many Scarves series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodi Lea - thanks for the support. The kids have actually been pretty great about the no tv thing so far. I've been the one wishing I could flip it on now again for a little rest! :)

    Thanks for reading. xo

    ReplyDelete